Local Integrating Organization
The West Sound Partners for Ecosystem Recovery (WSPER) Local Integrating Organization integrates local and tribal jurisdictions and interests to develop and implement strategies and actions that contribute to the protection and recovery of the local ecosystem.
The WSPER Local Integrating Organization is one of ten organizations that coordinate local activities related to the implementation of the Puget Sound Partnership’s Action Agenda. LIOs prioritize local actions for investment. The Puget Sound Partnership, a state agency, supports the work of LIOs by funding a coordination grant and providing technical support for each LIO.
The purpose of the WSPER Local Integrating Organization is to:
- Communicate with the Puget Sound Partnership (a state agency) about the science-based priority actions needed locally to address the “threats and pressures” to ecosystem health, including:
- urban stormwater
- shoreline restoration and salmon recovery, and
- water quality affecting shellfish
- Determine resources needed across the area for implementation of local recovery projects.
- Coordinate across multiple forums and organizations to share information and resources
The West Central LIO addresses ecosystem issues on the east side of the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington State. This area, known as our Action Area, includes nine jurisdictions (counties, cities and tribes) that make up our Executive Committee.